Taiwan Tati Cultural and Educational Foundation

 
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The News News

News

High Court upholds not guilty verdict for Chen

The Taiwan High Court yesterday acquitted former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) in an embezzlement case involving US$330,000 in secret diplomatic funds.

The Taipei District Court in June last year found Chen not guilty in the embezzlement case and the Taiwan High Court yesterday maintained the lower court’s ruling.

Read more...
 
 

Tsai Ing-wen needn’t apologize: Lee

Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) yesterday said Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) did not need to apologize for the controversy caused by her pension savings account that provides an 18 percent preferential interest rate.

Lee said reform of the system must be fair and just and the focus must be on the system, rather than on individuals collecting the dividends.

Read more...
 


Page 1199 of 1495

Newsflash


Members of the Taiwan National Alliance and other pro-independence groups hold a press conference in Taipei yesterday to raise public awareness about the mass killings that took place in March 1947 following the 228 Incident.
Photo: Chien Jung-fong, Taipei Times

Announcing plans for a procession to be held on Thursday in Taipei, pro-independence groups yesterday said they hoped to pass on the memories of the 228 Massacre so that similar mistakes would never be repeated.

The 228 Incident refers to the violent suppression of anti-government uprisings by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) that began on Feb. 28, 1947 — 16 months after the end of Japanese colonial rule.

Between 18,000 and 30,000 people, the majority of them Taiwanese and in particular leaders and intellectuals, are estimated to have been killed.