Taiwan Tati Cultural and Educational Foundation

 
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The News News CECC freezes two more firms sending workers

CECC freezes two more firms sending workers


>People on Nov. 8 wear masks at a shopping mall as the COVID-19 outbreak continues in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Photo: Reuters

The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday temporarily banned two more Indonesian recruitment agencies from sending migrant workers to Taiwan due to COVID-19.

With immediate effect, migrant workers from the recruitment firms PT Bumenjaya Eka Putra and PT Mitra Sinergi Sukses are prohibited from entering Taiwan, bringing to eight the total number of agencies facing such restrictions.

The center on Friday announced it had added PT Laatansa Lintas and PT Prima Duta Sejati to the list of firms temporarily banned from sending workers to Taiwan. The center first banned four Indonesian recruitment firms on Friday last week: PT Sentosa Karya Aditama, PT Vita Melati Indonesia, PT Ekoristi Berkarya and PT Graha Ayukarsa.

The move came after the CECC in the past few days confirmed several new imported COVID-19 cases, most of which were migrant workers arriving from Indonesia from the recruitment firms.

Indonesia is on Taiwan’s “high-risk” list for COVID-19, as it has been reporting about 5,000 new cases per day and has a 14 percent test positivity rate, the CECC said.

According to Ministry of Labor data, 4,119 Indonesian migrant workers have arrived in Taiwan since last month, of which 50 have tested positive for COVID-19.

The CECC has been conducting a rolling review of its entry policies, trying to balance Taiwan’s domestic labor requirements and public health concerns, Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Philip Lo (羅一鈞) said.

Agencies hoping to be removed from the ban list can apply to the CECC through the Indonesian government, but they must provide evidence that they have tightened their epidemic prevention measures and have not been connected to any new COVID-19 cases, Lo said.

As of yesterday, Indonesia has reported 522,581 COVID-19 cases and 16,521 fatalities, according to statistics compiled by Worldometer.


Source: Taipei Times - 2020/11/29



Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! Facebook! Twitter!  
 

Newsflash

President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) on Thursday said in his Double Ten National Day speech that the cross-strait ties are not international relations. The latest definition of the relationship indicates that his administration is moving closer to political dialogue with China.

Last year, Ma defined the situation with China as “non-state-to-state relations” in the wake of a meeting between his envoy, former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄) and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) at the annual KMT-Chinese Communist Party (CCP) forum in China, during which Wu made similar remarks.