Taiwan Tati Cultural and Educational Foundation

 
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The News News Prosecutors decide not to indict student activists

Prosecutors decide not to indict student activists

E-mail Print PDF

Activist Lin Fei-fan, right, hands out bubble milk tea near the Shida Night Market in Taipei on Monday, having lost a bet about President Ma Ying-jeou resigning as Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairman over last year’s elections.
Photo: Chu Pei-hsiung, Taipei Times

The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday said it would not prosecute student activists who were involved in a heated protest outside the Presidential Office Building in 2013 during which 27 police officers were injured.

On Oct. 10, 2013, Double Ten National Day, student protesters Lin Fei-fan (林飛帆), Chen Wei-ting (陳為廷) and Dennis Wei (魏揚) protested against President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), whom they claimed had bugged Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng’s (王金平) office as part of a power struggle.

The protesters gathered at a site across from the Presidential Office Building and tried to interrupt the National Day celebration that took place across the street, prosecutors said. The move was prevented by police officers and a violent conflict ensued, as some officers tried to forcibly stop a protester’s car that was heading toward the Presidential Office Building, they added.

In the aftermath, 27 officers were injured, who later presented certified injury reports that showed their injuries were caused during the fracas with the crowd, the prosecutors’ office said.

The police filed obstructing official business charges against Lin, Chen and Wei, as well as Wang Yueh-shu (王曰舒) — the driver of the car who police said intentionally hit officers — the office said.

However, the prosecutors’ office said that video supplied by the police did not support their allegation that Lin and the others attacked the officers, adding that Wang was driving slowly and did not demonstrate any intent to run into police officers.

The video also showed that Lin had twice negotiated with officers and calmed the crowd, so prosecutors decided that there was insufficient evidence to indict Lin and the others, the office said.

Meanwhile, Lin said on Monday that he would begin his military service tomorrow and would not be discharged until January next year.

Lin said that he had been encouraged to make use of his political leverage for several legislative reforms expected this year. However, he said it would be hard for him to contribute until he had finished his military service, so it would be better for him to meet his obligations as soon as possible.


Source: Taipei Times - 2015/01/28



Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! Facebook! Twitter!  
 

Newsflash


Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung at the Central Epidemic Command Center in Taipei yesterday shows a copy of an e-mail that Taiwanese authorities sent to the WHO on Dec. 31 last year regarding the novel coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China.
Photo: CNA

Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) yesterday urged the WHO to be honest as the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) published the e-mail it had sent to the world body in December last year alerting it about the risk of an outbreak in China.