Taiwan Tati Cultural and Educational Foundation

 
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The News News Referendum application will be heard: chairman

Referendum application will be heard: chairman


Taiwan Solidarity Union Chairman Huang Kun-huei, left, gestures at a hearing for a proposed referendum on the Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement in Taipei yesterday.
Photo: CNA

The application for a referendum on the cross-strait Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement (ECFA) will be discussed on Wednesday as scheduled, despite the proposer withdrawing from a hearing yesterday, Referendum Review Committee chairman Chao Yung-mau (趙永茂) said.

Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU) Chairman Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝), the initiator of the referendum proposal, said Chao should, as committee chairman, not convene the hearing. Huang then withdrew from the hearing.

Huang filed an administrative lawsuit in the Taipei High Administrative Court after his application was vetoed by the committee last year, but the court dismissed his lawsuit.

Huang then took the case to the Supreme Administrative Court, which overruled the Taipei High Administrative Court, saying that the committee has to review the application.

The TSU chairman told a press conference yesterday that a July 10 meeting of the review committee, which discussed the agenda and process of the hearing, was illegal because committee members at the meeting were less than the required threshold of half of the total number of members.

The TSU would file a report to the Control Yuan and demand an investigation into illegal practices in related government agencies, including the Ministry of the Interior, he said.


Source: Taipei Times - 2012/07/20



Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! Facebook! Twitter!  
 

Newsflash


Students and demonstrators against the controversial cross-strait service trade agreement last night break into the compound of the Legislative Yuan and occupy the podium on the legislative floor.
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times.

Opposition parties and civic groups are working together on a full-scale protest that includes legislative boycotts, a “siege” of the legislature and street rallies after the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) cut short the review of the cross-strait service trade agreement on Monday and sent the pact directly to the plenary session for its second reading.

At about 9pm, more than 300 students and demonstrators broke from the rally outside the Legislative Yuan, broke into the compound and took over the podium on the legislative floor.