Taiwan Tati Cultural and Educational Foundation

 
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The News News High Court upholds not guilty verdict for Chen

High Court upholds not guilty verdict for Chen

The Taiwan High Court yesterday acquitted former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) in an embezzlement case involving US$330,000 in secret diplomatic funds.

The Taipei District Court in June last year found Chen not guilty in the embezzlement case and the Taiwan High Court yesterday maintained the lower court’s ruling.

Chen Hung-ta (陳宏達), a spokesman for the Special Investigation Panal (SIP) of the Supreme Prosecutors Office, said prosecutors would decide whether to take the case to the Supreme Court after receiving the ruling.

Yesterday’s ruling said that evidence provided by prosecutors failed to prove that Chen had pocketed diplomatic funds.

The SIP alleges that during 11 foreign visits from August 2000 through September 2006, Chen embezzled US$30,000 each time from the US$100,000 government funds earmarked for improving foreign relations, for a total of US$330,000.

The court said that although prosecutors suspected Chen had kept the balance of the diplomatic funds and transferred them to the US accounts of his son, Chen Chih-chung (陳致中), there was no proof.


Source: Taipei Times - 2011/01/19



Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! Facebook! Twitter!  
 

Newsflash

In total disregard of Taiwan’s efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Italian government on Feb. 2 suspended all flights from Taiwan. Then, on Feb. 25, it announced that anyone entering Italy who had recently stopped in Taiwan must undergo mandatory home quarantine for 14 days.

This is anti-scientific, runs contrary to the norms of epidemic prevention and damages the dignity of Taiwan. It amounts to serious discrimination and Taiwanese should strenuously oppose it. The government must take immediate countermeasures.