Taiwan Tati Cultural and Educational Foundation

 
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The News News Taiwan High Court extends detention period for Chen

Taiwan High Court extends detention period for Chen

E-mail Print PDF

The Taiwan High Court yesterday extended former president Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) detention by another two months from Feb. 24.

High Court judges wrote in their ruling that Chen needed to be detained to ensure a smooth litigation process because he stands accused of serious crimes and there are still dozens of witnesses and defendants who have yet to testify in court.

VALID REASONS

The reasons for Chen’s detention, including the risk that he could abscond and fears that he would collude with witnesses, remained valid, the ruling said.

For Chen, the extension of his detention ruling means he will spend the Lunar New Year holiday in detention.

The former president has been held at Taipei Detention Center since Dec. 30, 2008.

Both Chen and his wife, Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍), were sentenced to life in prison on Sept. 11 last year by the Taipei District Court and fined NT$200 million (US$6.13 million) and NT$300 million respectively on several counts of corruption, including embezzling money from a discretionary state affairs fund and taking bribes from local businessmen.

Chen appealed the ruling to the High Court.

THIRD EXTENSION

This is the third time the High Court has extended Chen’s detention. The first was from Oct. 24. to Dec. 24 last year, and the second was from Dec. 24 to Feb. 24.

The Democratic Progressive Party said in a statement the party regretted the extension of Chen’s detention ruling.

“Since Chen was found guilty in the first ruling, all investigations have finished and Chen should be released so that he can better prepare his defense. The party insists Chen be allowed to exercise his full judicial rights,” the statement said.


Source: Taipei Times 2010/02/09



Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! Facebook! Twitter!  
 

Newsflash

It will take “decades” for Taiwan and China to consider unification as the conditions are not currently ripe, the Presidential Office said yesterday, dismissing a Wall Street Journal (WSJ) report that quoted President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) as saying that it will happen “in the next decade.”

Paul Chang (張國葆), the acting director-general of the Department of Public Affairs, said the paper misquoted Ma in an interview published online on Monday, adding that Ma was “stunned” when he saw the report and immediately asked him to straighten things out.