Taiwan Tati Cultural and Educational Foundation

 
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The News News

News

Ros-Lehtinen to seek enhanced TRA

US Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, chairperson of the US House Foreign Affairs Committee, will introduce new legislation over the next few days to strengthen and enhance the Taiwan Relations Act (TRA).

This move is aimed in part at pressuring the administration of US President Barack Obama into providing more support to Taipei.

A senior committee aide confirmed to the Taipei Times on Friday that Ros-Lehtinen planned to introduce a bill soon after the US Congress reconvenes on Tuesday — it is currently on break to celebrate the Labor Day vacation — and would quickly call a hearing on Taiwan policy.

Read more...
 
 

Chen Chih-chung to run in election

Former president Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) son, Chen Chih-chung (陳致中), who was recently sentenced to three months in jail for perjury, yesterday announced his decision to run in the January legislative elections.

“Chen Chih-chung will not be absent from the legislative election in the district of Cianjhen [前鎮] and Siaogang [小港],” he told supporters outside his office in Kao-hsiung yesterday morning.

Chen Chih-chung’s participation in Greater Kaohsiung’s ninth district as an independent candidate would make the election a three-way race and could take support away from Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) candidate Kuo Wen-cheng (郭玟成).

Read more...
 


Page 1103 of 1495

Newsflash

Prosecutors yesterday said they are investigating accusations of interference with the nation’s submarine program and that details of it were leaked, in what would be a serious breach of national security.

Taiwan unveiled its first domestically developed submarine on Thursday last week, a major step in a project aimed at bolstering the nation’s defense and deterrence in the face of military threats from China, although it would not enter service for two years.

Indigenous Defense Submarine program head Huang Shu-kuang (黃曙光) told local media last week that lawmakers, whom he did not name, had made it “difficult” for the program to purchase critical equipment, and that a contractor who had failed to obtain a bid had forwarded information to China.