Taiwan Tati Cultural and Educational Foundation

 
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Taiwan Tati Cultural and Educational Foundation

Taiwan aims to cement US ties: President Tsai

President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday underscored her administration’s intent to cement Taiwan-US relations as she welcomed a delegation of US lawmakers led by US Representative Mike Rogers, chairman of the US House of Representatives Armed Services Committee.

“We thank the US Congress for consistently showing bipartisan concern for Taiwan’s security and its show of support [for the nation] through concrete actions,” Tsai told the delegation at the Presidential Office in Taipei.

Read more...
 

China’s thievery and infiltration

In Germany, incidents of China trying to gather intelligence through educational exchanges have been exposed repeatedly over the past few years.

German Minister of the Interior and Community Nancy Faeser said that the danger was particularly considerable in the economic, industrial and science sectors, and warned that German companies, universities and research institutions should be highly vigilant.

She said that every precaution should be taken to prevent Chinese infiltration, and highlighted three priorities to enhance Germany’s security: identifying risks, averting dangers and avoiding dependencies.

Read more...
 
 

Parents protest city response to child drug claims

Nearly 1,000 people, mostly parents accompanied by their children, yesterday protested at the Civic Plaza outside New Taipei City Hall, voicing discontent over the city government’s handling of the alleged drugging of preschool students.

New Power Party Chairwoman Claire Wang (王婉諭) and Taiwan Children’s Rights Association director-general Wang Wei-chun (王薇君) organized the “Do Not Drug and Harm Our Children” rally after children from a private preschool in the city’s Banciao District (板橋) tested positive for traces of sedatives.

The city government took more than three weeks after it first received reports of children being sedated to provide on-campus drug testing and hold consultations with parents, Claire Wang wrote on Facebook.

Read more...
 

Awareness key in the face of China

Local media last week reported on a Coast Guard Administration officer in Penghu County who allowed four Chinese to disembark a yacht and wander around freely for several days without an entry permit, sparking shock and concern over national security.

Four Chinese citizens and one US citizen, traveling on a Saint Kitts and Nevis-registered yacht from Quanzhou in China’s Fujian Province to Japan’s Okinawa Prefecture, sought temporary shelter from Typhoon Mawar in Penghu County’s Magong Port on May 27. The incident attracted attention as one of the Chinese crew uploaded video footage of their interaction with a coast guard officer, a man surnamed Lin (林) who was deputy head of the inspection office at Magong Port, to Chinese social network platform Xiaohongshu, and it was widely shared on Douyin.

Read more...
 


Page 120 of 1529

Newsflash


Members of the Taiwan National Alliance and other pro-independence groups hold a press conference in Taipei yesterday to raise public awareness about the mass killings that took place in March 1947 following the 228 Incident.
Photo: Chien Jung-fong, Taipei Times

Announcing plans for a procession to be held on Thursday in Taipei, pro-independence groups yesterday said they hoped to pass on the memories of the 228 Massacre so that similar mistakes would never be repeated.

The 228 Incident refers to the violent suppression of anti-government uprisings by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) that began on Feb. 28, 1947 — 16 months after the end of Japanese colonial rule.

Between 18,000 and 30,000 people, the majority of them Taiwanese and in particular leaders and intellectuals, are estimated to have been killed.