Taiwan Tati Cultural and Educational Foundation

 
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home The News News New Zealand politician invites Kadeer to visit

New Zealand politician invites Kadeer to visit

Exiled Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer has been invited to speak in New Zealand next week and the government will decide within days whether to issue her a visa, New Zealand Prime Minister John Key said yesterday. Taiwanese officials last month banned Kadeer, who Beijing accuses of leading a separatist terrorist movement, from visiting and China objected to her visit to Australia in August.

Key said he was not aware of any request from the Chinese government to prevent the visit.

New Zealand’s Green Party foreign affairs spokesman Keith Locke said he would host Kadeer from next Monday to Thursday, when she would speak at two public meetings and meet legislators.

“She advocates non-violent change and disassociates herself from violent change,” he said. “I think there would be quite an outcry from New Zealanders if she wasn’t given a visa.”

Beijing calls Kadeer’s World Uyghur Congress a terrorist movement and accuses the group of directing July’s unrest in Urumqi, which left at least 197 people dead.

Key told a news conference that Immigration Minister Jonathan Coleman would decide whether to grant a visa allowing her to talk to two public meetings within the next few days.

Beijing objected when Kadeer, who has lived in exile in the US since being freed from a Chinese prison in 2005, visited Australia in August, but Locke told the New Zealand Herald he did not envisage any problems in her being allowed into New Zealand.

“It is wrong to allow the Chinese, or any government, to tell us who we can or cannot let speak in our country,” he said.

Source: Taipei Times 2009/10/06



Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Reddit! Del.icio.us! Mixx! Google! Live! Facebook! StumbleUpon! Facebook! Twitter!  
 

Newsflash


Anti-Nuclear Action Alliance convener Kao Cheng-yan, center, and others hold up signs with the text “Fourth Nuclear Power Plant referendum, let the public decide” outside the Joint Central Government Office Building in Taipei yesterday.
Photo: Lo Pei-der, Taipei Times

Supporters and opponents of nuclear energy verbally clashed yesterday at a public hearing held by the Central Election Commission, as it reviews a referendum proposal on whether fuel rods should be inserted to start test operations of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City.

“How will we handle nuclear waste? How will we evacuate the millions of residents in Greater Taipei in the event of a nuclear disaster? I don’t think we should continue developing nuclear energy until we can answer these questions,” an anti-nuclear activist surnamed Sui (隋) said. “Moreover, a nuclear power plant can operate for up to 40 years, and produce hundreds of tonnes of nuclear waste. How much should we pay for 40 years of energy supply?”